McQueeney VFD Volunteers Attend Memorial for Drowning Victim

Members of the McQueeney VFD attended a memorial service for Victor Villanueva, who drowned in June of 2021 while trying to rescue his two sons who had been swept downstream in the Guadalupe River near the FM1117 bridge.  Villanueva, as well as Casandra Kendrick, a 22 year old local and US Navy veteran, both drowned in the rescue effort. The two young boys were brought to safety. McQueeney VFD Chief Mike Wiedner and Lieutenant Ray Salas, using the department’s rescue boat, located Villanueva’s body after a two day search. Shown in the picture below are Chief Wiedner and Lieutenant Salas along with the Villanueva family.

11/15/18: McQueeney VFD Responds to Early Morning Fire in McQueeney Estates

At approximately 2:38 AM today (Nov. 15) the McQueeney Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched for a reported structure fire at 328 Pecan Drive SW in McQueeney Estates. We responded with 2 engines and 7 firefighters and when we arrived on scene, we found a double-wide mobile home with smoke coming from the roof and around the doors and windows.  All 7 residents safely evacuated the residence prior to the arrival of the fire department.  

Upon making entry through the front door of the residence we found a sofa destroyed by fire and other fire damage in the living room of the home.  Although the fire damage was limited to the living room, the fire generate large amounts of toxic black smoke which damage or destroyed most of the contents throughout the home.  Since the family of 7 was displaced by the fire, the Red Cross was contacted and is providing help for their immediate needs.

The cause and origin investigation is being done by Guadalupe County Fire Marshal Patrick Pinder and although no official cause is available at this time, the fire appears to be accidental in nature and there were no injuries to firefighters or the residents of the home.  This fire is another reminder of the importance of having working smoke detectors in your home as the residents were awakened by their smoke detector(s) going off so they had enough time to safely evacuate their residence.   

With the onset of cold weather early this year, we would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to be very careful with their use of space heaters and make sure they are not placed too close to any combustibles such as curtains, drapes and furniture.  Also, please have your central heating unit checked by a professional as soon as you can.   

Press Release from McQueeney VFD Chief Tim Bogisch

RV Fire

RV fire

From the Seguin Gazette:

#UPDATE: The fire is out and the RV was destroyed, but Blakes was saved, however, the restaurant may be closed for the remainder of the night due to the loss of electricity. No injuries were reported.

#BREAKING: McQueeney Volunteer Fire Department and the Seguin Fire Department are working to extinguish a fire that destroyed an RV behind Blake’s Cafe -McQueeney. We’ll post more information as it becomes available.


Structure Fire in the 9000 block of FM 725

barn fire

At approximately 6:15 PM on April 14, we were dispatched for a confirmed structure fire in the 9000 block of FM 725. One engine, our rescue truck, two brush trucks and 10 firefighters responded to the fire. Upon arrival, we found a large garage/storage building fully involved in fire. Due to the large volume of fire, we requested tankers from Seguin, Marion and Lake Dunlap fire departments. GCSO and Fire Marshal also responded. All units were clear of the scene by 9:15 PM.

putting out barn fire

Image 1 of 7