At approximately 2:38 AM today (Nov. 15) the McQueeney Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched for a reported structure fire at 328 Pecan Drive SW in McQueeney Estates. We responded with 2 engines and 7 firefighters and when we arrived on scene, we found a double-wide mobile home with smoke coming from the roof and around the doors and windows. All 7 residents safely evacuated the residence prior to the arrival of the fire department.
Upon making entry through the front door of the residence we found a sofa destroyed by fire and other fire damage in the living room of the home. Although the fire damage was limited to the living room, the fire generate large amounts of toxic black smoke which damage or destroyed most of the contents throughout the home. Since the family of 7 was displaced by the fire, the Red Cross was contacted and is providing help for their immediate needs.
The cause and origin investigation is being done by Guadalupe County Fire Marshal Patrick Pinder and although no official cause is available at this time, the fire appears to be accidental in nature and there were no injuries to firefighters or the residents of the home. This fire is another reminder of the importance of having working smoke detectors in your home as the residents were awakened by their smoke detector(s) going off so they had enough time to safely evacuate their residence.
With the onset of cold weather early this year, we would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to be very careful with their use of space heaters and make sure they are not placed too close to any combustibles such as curtains, drapes and furniture. Also, please have your central heating unit checked by a professional as soon as you can.
Press Release from McQueeney VFD Chief Tim Bogisch